Vegan mac and cheese… sigh.. the struggle is real. I’ve tried soooooo many different versions- cashew based, sweet potato based, broth based, and some with nutritional yeast, like this one, but my previously attempted recipes have been so complicated and never deeply satisfying like mac and cheese should be!! This one I stumbled across the other night however and yes, yes…. YES. Tastes so cheesy and the texture is amazingly similar to non vegan mac and cheese. Solid gold people!
OKAY here we go.. the goods..
Serves 2 (or if you are obsessed like me, it serves 1 for 2 meals of the day)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (or if gluten free, try coconut flour, rice flour or chickpea flour)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pinch or 2 of salt
- Pinch garlic powder (not crucial)
- 4 cups pasta (I used brown rice pasta)
That’s seriously all you need for this deliciousness…. maybe some hot sauce too.
- Cook your pasta according to package directions.
- Combine all ingredients except the noodles, into a medium pot and stir until thickens.. usually I stir with a whisk for about a minute or 2 before it starts to thicken up.
- Add your noodles to the sauce and stir well!
IT IS easy….. bein cheesy. Ha.. ok settle down Jessie.